Sunday, October 18, 2009

Error in Paris


Last year I traveled to Paris. In one of the oldest parks in Paris was one of the oldest Sycamore trees in the city. This sign shows that all that history and current science has got it wrong about root growth. They need to read my book Roots Demystified. If they read it, they would understand that all tree roots are at least 1/2 times wider than the canopy (dripline). In a sandy soil the roots can grow three to seven times wider than the dripline.

I think the last paragraph talks about the root system and nutrients, but I can not read French. Maybe someone reading this blog could translate it for me and others. (Click on the image to get a full screen view to make it easier to read.)

Visit my web site to learn about my new book on drip irrigation and other gardening books.

NOTE: The comments section at the bottom of the post has disappeared. Click on the "___ Comments" button or the title under the "Blog Archives". Thanks, Robert

1 comment:

Sean Freeman said...

Hi Robert, been following your blog for a while and enjoying many of your observations.

I am not French, but my highschool standard grasp of the text would suggest the following...

"Erosion of the slope has revealed a labrynth of roots from this Plane tree planted in 1785.

For the most part hidden, the root system of a tree is not normally smaller than the large part...an estimate of its volume would be equal to the crown (including the trees branches)

The roots provide/enable anchorage in the soil and absorption of water and minerals essential to development of the vegetation."

But I agree the diagram they have chosen seriously over emphasises sinker root development...it could really only be supported in a tree growing on hind dune or deep aluvial soils with a deep water table...even then the lateral spread in the upper soil profile would definately exceed the drip line by the magnitudes you suggest....never mind