Monday, October 19, 2009

The Dutch Win


This is the last landscape I installed before moving to the Farallones Institute Rural Institute to run the Edible Landscape Program. I inherited the plans from a student of the Harvard School of Landscape Design. He specified a herbal lawn mix between the redwood rounds. I didn’t approve of the redwood rounds for the patio as I knew there was too much white sap wood for them to last very long. Nonetheless, I followed the plan. I had already seen the “herbal lawn mix” at a public display garden. I knew one section was always blocked off due to too much usage, spilled sodas (maybe), and unknown spillages and urines.

The mix was composed of: creeping thyme (Thymus serpyllum), dwarf yarrow (Achillea millefolium), Roman chamomile (Chamaemelum nobile, usually listed in catalogs as Anthemis nobilis), and Dutch white clover (Trifolium repens).

I dutifully planted the mixture between the rounds. A year later, only the Dutch white clover remained. It is an aggressive plant. When grown as walkways between vegetable beds as a nitrogen source, it requires constant attention to control its spread.

Luckily the clients have no children as clovers leave nasty stains and are very attractive to bees.

Yet, it did provide a nice green mosaic between the rounds.

Visit my web site to learn about my new book on drip irrigation and other gardening books.

NOTE: The comments section at the bottom of the post has disappeared. Click on the "___ Comments" button or the title under the "Blog Archives". Thanks, Robert

No comments: